Europeana Food and Drink is a project that aims to promote the wider re-use of the digital cultural resources available through Europeana to boost creativity and business development across Europe. It ran from January 2014 to June 2016.
Europeana Food and Drink wants to provide the basis for innovative and commercially viable applications and services developed in partnership with the creative industries, with a strong thematic focus on celebrating Europe’s diverse food and drink culture, which will demonstrate the potential of high-value digital content discovered through Europeana.
Europeana Food and Drink focuses on 3 specific themes:
• My Food and Drink Life –the personal, family and domestic aspects of food and drink, including recipes, domestic artefacts, narratives and other user-generated material;
• Food and Drink in the Community – the social and community aspects of food and drink, including feasts and customs and local food culture;
• The Food and Drink Industry - the cultivation, manufacture, production and distribution of food and drink, including agriculture, farming and retail (pubs, bars and restaurants).
Europeana Food and Drink will achieve its objective by delivering four connected ‘tracks’ of activity:
• discover, prepare, license and upload to Europeana 50,000-70,000 unique high-quality digital assets and their associated metadata;
• engage the public, retailers and distributors in campaigns, piloting and crowd activities to encourage them to share and make use of food- and drink-related content;
• work with creative industry partners to develop a suite of nine innovative creative and commercial applications, deliver three Open Innovation Challenges and extend the Europeana Open Labs network;
• develop and share new knowledge, understanding and guidance on successful public/private partnerships focused on digital cultural content.